Packing and Shipping FAQs
What is the customs process? Will the recipient of my shipment be taxed?
- A customs declaration must accompany any non-document shipment. We’ll complete the necessary paperwork for you. This process typically takes less than 5 minutes.
- A declared value must be provided for any non-document item, even if it is a gift or personal effect. An exact amount is not necessary, however, and we have simple guidelines for customs values that satisfy requirements while reducing potential taxes.
- Most countries charge an import tax between 10 to 20%. The recipient normally receives a statement via mail, but in some countries, this will be collected by the delivery driver.
- Mexico charges a 500% tarrif on items made in China.
- Pre-payment of import taxes is available, and is assessed at 20% of total declared value.
Can I ship prescription medication?
- Most countries allow the shipment of prescription medication.
- A copy of the prescription must be included with the shipment.
- Such shipments must be sent to the individual whose name is on the prescription.
Can I ship to APO’s (military addresses)?
- Only the U.S. Postal service may ship to an APO address.
- This service is available at Prime Pack & Ship.
- If faster service is necessary, a physical street address is required.
What guarantees do I have that my shipment will arrive on time & undamaged?
- FedEx, UPS, and DHL guarantee on-time delivery of all document shipments. Shipping time is 1 to 2 days to most major cities worldwide. For a transit time quote specific to your country of destination, call us at 847-490-9248.
- FedEx, UPS, and DHL guarantee on-time delivery of all parcels barring any customs delays beyond their control. Such delays are very rare when you have Prime Pack & Ship prepare your customs documentation. Priority service is 2 to 4 days to most major cities worldwide. Economy service is 7 to 15 business days. For a transit time quote specific to your country of destination, call us at 847-490-9248.
- All parcels carried by FedEx, UPS, and DHL are covered up to $100.00 against damage, and additional insurance is available for purchase. ($1,000.00 of insurance, for example, will cost about $9.00)
- The U.S. Postal Service offers no guarantees against damage, delayed delivery, or lost packages.
Can I ship to a foreign P.O. Box via a private carrier like FedEx or DHL?
- Yes. In such cases, the recipient would be contacted by the carrier, and he or she can pick up their shipment from a local office.
What items am I not allowed to send?
- Items under pressure (aerosol cans)
- Hazardous materials
- Food that is not marked for individual retail sale and sealed in its original packing.
- Perfume and cologne
- Some Muslim countries will not accept any media (books, magazines, music, or film) originating from the United States and a few, such as Iran and North Korea, will accept official documents only.